About the Band...
The music of Blue Sage revolves around the repertoire of band leader Mike Iverson, who is know worldwide as part of an elite group of progressive minded clawhammer banjo players.
Blue Sage features the "twin fiddles" of Rob Ricks and Heather Blaisdell. Rob is an incredibly gifted bluegrass fiddler while Heather draws from the Celtic and American fiddle tradition; the mix of the two styles is pure magic on stage!
Ken Sager (mandolin & dobro) and Jake Workman (guitar), two of Utah’s finest bluegrass musicians, add hot improvisation solos that soar above the driving bass fiddle of Shauna Iverson.
Why we are the right band for you!
- Our instrumentation is based on folk and bluegrass stylings but our songs are rooted in the western tradition and therefore perfect for 'western' themed events!
- Blue Sage performances feature a wide variety of styles; folk, western swing, bluegrass, old time fiddle/banjo tunes, acoustic rock and americana. We are very easy on the ears!
- We pride ourselves in being personable and adaptable and we always try to accommodate the wishes of those who have hired us.
- We always dress appropriately. Our costuming is usually "nice casual" but changes if the presenter wants another theme (old time cowboy, pioneer, formal, etc.).
- The music of Blue Sage appeals to all age groups.
- We can provide our own professional quality sound reinforcement which you are welcome to use for announcements.
- Blue Sage can perform in a variety of configurations for different events. Solo, duo, trio, quartet, quintet, or sextet.
- We host old-time barn dances for many of the events we play (especially weddings). We use excellent callers, all of whom are very good at getting non-dancers up and having a good time. This type of dance (contra) is similar to square dancing but much easier and, in our opinion, much more fun!
Mike Iverson: Banjo, Lead Vocals, Band Leader
Shauna Iverson: Acoustic Bass
Heather Blaisdell: Fiddle
Rob Ricks: Fiddle
Ken Sager: Acoustic & Electric Mandolins, Dobro
Jake Workman: Guitar, Mandolin
Doc Watson, Neal Young, Newgrass Revival, Gordon Lightfoot, Gillian Welch, Grateful Dead, Bela Fleck, Tony Rice, James Taylor, Don Edwards, Norman Blake, Bob Wills, David Grisman, Nickel Creek, Crosby Stills & Nash, Claire Lynch.
What to Expect
Typical Gig Duration: 30 - 180 minutes
Blending elements of bluegrass, folk, blues, rock, and jazz, the Blue Sage Band defies description. A classic 'Grateful Dead' piece might be followed by a light jazz sounding instrumental tune which in turn might be followed by a hard driving bluegrass song. The one constant is the use of the clawhammer style of banjo in genres of music which have seldom heard it's unique sound!
Motel accommodations for shows that require and overnight stay.
We can provide a PA system if one is not available. A sound rider can be provide on request.
We can provide a professional quality PA system when required. A link to our sound rider, stage plot, and mixing notes can be provided upon request.
CDs For Sale
Live At The Junction Theater
Available for Your
Christmas Party, Concert Venue, Convention, Corporate Event, Fair, Festival, Fundraiser, Grand Opening, Holiday Party, Private Party, Restaurant, Trade Show, Wedding Reception