Baba has received numerous honors and awards for his work as a folklorist, traditional musician, storyteller, community activist and volunteer. He has been contracted as a consultant, performed for, and/or lectured at such institutions as:
• Barnes & Noble Bookstores
• California Youth Authority
• Los Angeles Natural History Museum
• Boeing Company
• University of Warsaw Poland
• US Customs and Border Patrol
• J. Paul Getty Museum
• Museum of Latin American Art
• Orange County Performing Arts Center
• Aquarium of the Pacific
• Los Angeles County Museum of Art
• Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
• San Jose Unified School District
• University of California Long Beach
• Chapman University
• California Association for Bilingual Education
• Los Angeles Unified School District
• Long Beach Unified School District
• International Pan African Film Festival
• San Diego Public Library System
• University of La Verne
• French American Schools Los Angeles
• Public Corporation for the Arts
• Orange County Unified School District
• Claremont Colleges
• John Anson Ford Amphitheatre
• Cerritos Performing Arts Center
• Public Corporation for the Arts
• City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs
• County of Los Angeles Library System
• California County Superintendents Educational Services
Baba has presented in, literally, thousands of organizations and institutions both private and public. He is recipient of a certificate of recognition by the California State Assembly for his use of creative use of storytelling and commitment to community in working with troubled teens. Baba was also awarded the Distinguished Arts Award, Artist of the Year, City of Long Beach California. This awarded was presented to Baba by the Mayor of the City of Long Beach California and administered by The Public Corporation for the Arts. Baba has also received commendations for his artistry from both the US Senate and US Congress.
Baba the Storyteller: Kora Musician and Teller of Entertaining Tales
What to Expect
Typical Gig Duration: 45 - 120 minutes
The din of an awaiting crowd is broken up by the gentle tones of an ancient harp. A deep, resonant voice sings over the delicate vibrations of its’ twenty-one strings as Baba the Storyteller walks onto the stage. The audience unites in anticipation of an experience sure to accompany the beautiful music capturing their attention. A bond is forming.
The audience and storyteller are now companions on a journey through which tantalizing tales and mesmerizing music will serve as guides. Adults reunite with the familiarity of their imaginations, while children are enthralled by the joy of a new experience that is mysteriously calming and exhilarating at the same time. Baba’s performance is as easily accessed by the young as it is appreciatively nuanced for the young at heart. A peaceful, relaxed atmosphere full of smiles and laughter has been shared as the journey ends where it began, with stories and music. Each departs renewed with a sense that they have just participated in a truly beautiful and memorable experience.
Access to a functioning electrical outlet near the performance area
Baba is a self-contained artist, touring small and medium sized venues with his own sound system, microphones and equipment. His performances are adaptable to almost any environment from living rooms, coffee shops to theaters both large and small. Performances space is not an issue as he may perform walking amongst an audience or from a stage. For smaller crowds and groups acoustic performances are offered.
Tailored to the needs of the client but will always include engaging, interactive and humorous narrative/stories, traditional West African harp music, improvisational audience interaction and singing in the West African language of Bambara.
2006: 150 gigs
2007: 211 gigs
2008: 303 gigs
2009: 265 gigs
2010: 133 gigs
Available for Your
Anniversary Party, Awards Night, Baby Shower, Casino, Church Service, Concert Venue, Convention, Corporate Event, Cruise, Ethnic Celebration, Fair, Festival, Funeral Service, Hotel, Luncheon/Tea, Private Party, Retreat, Seminar, Studio Session, Wedding Ceremony, Wedding Reception, Workshop
Here are testimonials Baba the Storyteller & Kora Musician has chosen to post.