- 1. The Little Heathy Hill/The Fair Hills of Eire O! Celtic duo
- 2. Beside the White Rocks/The Brink of the White Rocks
- 3. Concerning Hobbits from Lord of the Rings
- 4. Nothing Else Matters
- 5. Italian Medley
- 6. Russian Medley: Waiting/Expectation and Tumbalalaika
- 7. Polish Medley: Red Apple and Oberek
- 8. Ave Maria (Schubert)
- 9. Here Comes the Sun (G. Harrison)
- 10. How Great Thou Art
- 11. New World Symphony 2nd movement excerpt
- 12. Schubert Medley
- 13. Theodora - Original Belly Dance Music
- 14. Gemma - Original Belly Dance Music
- 15. Thalia - Original Belly Dance Music
Wedding, quinceanera, high tea, Oktoberfest, ethnic or period theme event? 2019 bookings are in full swing! We have solo violin or ensembles to suit all budgets.
Make your celebration memorable with soulful, beautiful violin music by Dorothy Barth. Classically trained and Stanford-educated, Dorothy has played at weddings and special events throughout California. She has the experience, passion, commitment, and creativity (along with an interesting and diverse repertory) to add magic to your wedding or event. Dorothy delivers great value for her musical services and loves to customize events for clients who appreciate fine music for their celebration. Her style is lyrical and romantic.
Dorothy Barth was amazing during my wedding ceremony. I was extremely happy with how she did. Thank you
Response from Dorothy Barth:
Thanks for the opportunity to perform at your lovely wedding ceremony! So glad you liked the violin music. Best wishes, Dorothy
Dorothy was well prepared, worked with the wedding's coordinator and the bride selecting the songs and the timing. She researched and practiced once the most classic and difficult Tunisian weddings' songs and played them to perfection. Thank you, Dorothy, for your prompt response an great performance.
Response from Dorothy Barth:
It was such a pleasure to play for this beautiful wedding and to explore and perform my international repertory. Thanks for giving me this opportunity! Dorothy
Dorothy Barth and husband, Bert, transformed our Sunday brunch meeting into a festive and fun, one that would otherwise have been a typically sedate affair. They were professional in every sense, patient and flexible, adjusting their performance to our needs, for it was after all, a business meeting that happened to fall on Saint Patrick's Day! They dressed the part too! The group truly enjoyed their performance and appreciated their talent. Dorothy's knowledge of classical music is broad, and I look forward to future opportunities to enjoy. Many thanks also to GigSalad, for their talent search services. Great resource! Marlyn Dinon
Response from Dorothy Barth:
Thank you so much for your very kind review of our St. Patrick's Day performance and for your guidance in helping us to prepare for this lively event in a perfectly picturesque setting. We really enjoyed preparing selections from Flautilla, our Celtic nautical arrangements, especially for this occasion. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you again! Dorothy and Bert Barth
Dorothy did a lovely job worth a sunset concert on my husbands birthday! She learned a lot of requested music, arrived on time and was very professional. Highly recommended!
Dorothy is a highly talented musician. She arrived early to set up. She was very crowd conscious and adjusted the music to meet the flow and capacity of the room. I would definitely recommend her to anyone. You won't be disappointed. Thank you Dorothy for making my event great!
Response from Dorothy Barth:
It was a pleasure to perform for your event. I look forward to working with you again in the future!
Dorthy was great! She was able to answer questions and give great advice when needed. She also was flexible! So thankful I found her! She also recorded each song on to her website whiched help for the rehearsal!
Response from Dorothy Barth:
I'm honored to have provided the music to accompany your beautiful ceremony. Thanks for booking me!
We hired Dorothy to play violin Beatles songs for our wedding. The result was beyond our expectation. Dorothy was incredibly professional from the beginning. She provided us song previews and allowed us to completely customize our requests. We got tons of compliments for her beautiful violin renditions of our favorite Beatles songs. I would recommend Dorothy for anything you are considering hiring her for.
Response from Dorothy Barth:
It was a pleasure to provide violin music for such a thoughtful and creative wedding (and great fun to prepare all that Beatles repertory!). Thanks for the opportunity and the review.
Wonderful violin playing!!!!!
Response from Dorothy Barth:
Thank you; I'm glad you enjoyed my playing!
I highly recommend Dorothy Barth for any special event! We attended a High Tea at Tea Lane in Fallbrook and Dorothy helped created a wonderful experience. Her playing is exquisite, her selection of music was romantic and perfect for the event, and she was very personable. In addition, Dorothy wore an historical Victorian dress that inspired the guests, male and female, to don hats provided by the tea shop!
Response from Dorothy Barth:
It was my pleasure to provide romantic violin music for the Valentine's tea at Tea Lane. Thanks so much, Beverly, for your wonderful review!
What to Expect
Romantic, popular, classical, Renaissance Baroque, and many international styles await your listening pleasure. In addition to solo violin performances, two ensembles are available:
(1) Kammeraderie (violin and recorder duo)
(2) Tea Rose Consort (violin, guitar, and two recorders) specializing in Celtic and Renaissance music - see our separate GigSalad profile for Tea Rose Consort (under Celtic music)
Sample Style List:
- 19th century violin standards
- Renaissance and Medieval
- Irish and Scottish traditional
- English Country Dance
- Wedding classics
- Hymns and praise Songs
- Holiday music
- Movie and musical theater themes
- 20th Century romantic and nostalgic ballads from the 1920's through the 1960's (including Beatles)
- Contemporary romantic pop - Ask Dorothy for her curated list of "top 40" romantic popular songs perfect for the violin!
- International music. NOTE: Dorothy has a far-reaching interest in international music. Her international repertory is always evolving and expanding. A good way to use the international repertory is to have Dorothy mix an international genre with romantic American repertory for an eclectic, customized presentation.She has successfully done this for wedding receptions, cultural events, and quinceaneras. Share your vision to honor your heritage! The earlier you share your preferences, the more time Dorothy will have to gather and rehearse the repertory of that country or culture for your special event. Here is an updated listing for 2019 of international categories available:
1. English Country Dance
5. French (chansons transcribed for violin and French fiddle) NEW for 2019
6. Spanish/Latin American/Mexican
8. Scandinavian fiddle (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish)
9. Middle Eastern - Dorothy has an oriental dance dance background, which inspires her love of Middle Eastern music
10. Russian and Eastern European
11. Klezmer/Jewish Traditional
12. Chinese folkloric transcribed for modern violin (NEW for 2019, with repertory somewhat more limited than the others)
A high quality portable amp that can operate on battery power if necessary is provided at no extra charge where amplification is allowed. It is a welcome addition to outdoor events where sound might otherwise be lost.
BRIDES AND GROOMS: Your customized wedding ceremony package includes 30 minutes of serene and lovely Prelude music while guests arrive as well as up to 10 minutes of joyful Postlude music after your recessional. Early arrival (45 minutes to an hour before start of Prelude music) allows plenty of time for setup and communication with your wedding coordinator.
Dorothy began violin studies as a child in Amsterdam. After she moved with her family to the U.S., she studied with prominent violin teachers first in Lawrence, Kansas and then in California. She earned her music degree from Stanford University at the age of twenty. Past orchestral experience includes the Pasadena Community Symphony, Santa Rosa Baroque Sinfonia, Solano Symphony, Vallejo Symphony, Vallejo Choral Society, and American Recorder Orchestra of the West. For two decades, Dorothy has been a sought-after violinist for weddings and special events throughout California.
She frequently performs as a duo (Kammeraderie) with her husband Bertram Barth. They recently completed recording six albums of English, Irish, and Scottish traditional music. This project features Dorothy's own arrangements and took up much of 2015 to complete; it was a true labor of love. All albums are available as digital downloads under the Kammeraderie label at CD Baby, iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc. as well as streaming platforms. We can feature this music for your theme performances: wedding, Celtic, St. Patrick's Day, nautical, Earth Day, etc.
Dorothy is also available for freelance orchestral assignments, musical theater productions, string ensembles, international festivals, re-enactment festivals, and performances in restaurants and hotel lobbies.
PRAISE FROM PAST CLIENTS:
I came across your business card in my purse today and started thinking of my son's wedding day on 7/13/2013, where you performed the most beautiful music for his/and my daughter-in-law's wedding. I want you to know that friends still mention now and then, how lovely and moving your music was. It made me think today, when I found your card, that all the people that your talent touches their lives in that moment of celebration and perhaps you may wonder if you're remembered. Well...I want to say, YES...you are. My son's wedding was lovely and it was your talented expertise that set the stage for his ceremony. I hope you are well. I wanted to send you a few pictures of the "Happy Couple" who will always remember you..... Their miracle" baby .....was born (in 2014), 9 wks early at 3lbs, 4 oz and stayed in ICU for 7 weeks) You were a part of their beginning and will be thought of always for the lovely music you created for their wedding day!
(Mother of Groom, received almost 4 years after the wedding and one of the nicest messages I've ever received!)
Dorothy Barth provided beautiful music for our wedding ceremony. She arrived early to set up and was very helpful in the music selection before the day of the wedding. She also provided us with a wedding page that outlined what order and what songs would be played. Everyone complimented on how wonderful the music was for the ceremony.
Review by Jessica P. , Laguna Beach, CA, 9/14/2013
We couldn't be happier with Dorothy. Extremely talented, punctual and went out of her way to make us happy. Quick reply to any emails and she located sheet music to an uncommon wedding song. When there was a mix up in the timing of the bridal party starting, Dorothy noticed this and continued /replayed the song without a pause. Our guests would have never known that the party missed their cue. Amazing! Highly recommended!
Review by Roy W. , Redlands, CA, 6/22/2013
I just wanted to say thank you for everything at our wedding this last weekend. Your music was an absolutely beautiful surprise for my new husband!! He love love loved it!! Everyone loved it, you had absolutely raving reviews!! You made my ceremony very special and I just wanted you to know how thankful I am for you being a part of it! It couldn't have been more perfect, thank you thank you thank you!!! December 2014 Wedding, Bride
Dorothy, you made the ceremony beautiful with your amazing talent and music selection....you can use me as a reference anytime!
October 2014 Wedding, Groom
Thank you so much again for the beautiful music you created for my son's wedding yesterday. All our guests at the reception told us how lovely and enjoyable it was. It was everything we wanted and exceeded our expectations. Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts for sharing in our son's special day.
July 2013 Wedding, Mother of the Groom
I just wanted to send you an email to thank you for the beautiful job you did at our wedding November 1st. I have always loved the sound of a solo violin and always imagined it being played at my wedding. You made that image become a reality, and you did it so well. My grandmother also wanted me to tell you what a wonderful job you did as well. I saw her sitting and listening to you during the champagne hour on the terrace, I know you made her night!
November 2008 Wedding, Bride
Additional Booking Notes
Dorothy brings her own equipment: two violins (she always bring a second instrument for backup) and amplification if desired. A violin is a delicate and precious instrument and needs protection from wind, rain, fog, or extreme temperatures.
DOROTHY'S TIPS AND THOUGHTS FOR CHOOSING A VIOLINIST:
1. Performing artists of all types are inspired to settle in Southern California. This means that you, the customer, have many violinists to choose from!
2. To play any musical instrument beautifully takes many years of formal training and practice. Most violinists who "put themselves out there" have undergone such training.
3. Guided by individual talent and interest, each violinist eventually develops a unique style and approach to performance. It's important that you determine which style most eloquently fits your needs. And it's up to the violinist to steer you elsewhere if the requested style is not their own.
4. Listen to the violinist's samples to determine for yourself whether the violinist is a great fit for your event. By doing your audio homework BEFORE contacting the violinist, you will ultimately save time in the selection process. And never let price be your only selection criterion.
5. Do not ask or expect a violinist to be clone of some prominent artist you may have seen on YouTube, or a world famous violinist. Let each be the unique performer they are; that is the most and the best anyone can be. It may surprise you to know that some famous performers are available for private performances--with corresponding rates of $100k to $1M per performance!
5. Once you've selected a specific violinist, allow their unique perspective and signature style to help guide the repertory. They will no doubt try to honor some of your special music selections if suitable for violin, but do remember this: There is much great music that was not written in the last 10 years! They may have hundreds of wonderful tunes available you might not even have considered! (or phrased differently, the latest pop music is not necessarily the best).
6. For brides and grooms seeking a wedding musician: Please be aware that no wedding is 15 or 30 minutes in duration. All weddings should have Prelude music (I generally provide 30 minutes of Prelude), and Postlude music (generally 10-15 minutes). Most ceremonies are short, but with Prelude and Postlude will grow to be an hour long. Always keep in mind the extensive training, expertise, custom preparation, fine instruments, communication, and travel time involved in preparing for and performing at a wedding.
Upcoming Booked Events
|July 27, 2019 • 5:30pm - 7:00pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|August 09, 2019 • 2:30pm - 3:30pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|August 10, 2019 • 5:00pm - 6:30pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|November 02, 2019 • 4:30pm - 5:30pm||Wedding Ceremony|
Past Booked Events
|July 05, 2019 • 6:00pm - 7:00pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|June 28, 2019 • 4:30pm - 7:00pm||Cocktail Party|
|May 26, 2019 • 12:00pm - 2:00pm||Birthday Celebration|
|May 25, 2019 • 3:00pm - 4:30pm||Wedding Cocktail Hour|
|May 12, 2019 • 11:00am - 1:00pm||Mother's Day Brunch|
|May 10, 2019 • 6:30pm - 7:30pm||Wedding Ceremony and Cocktail Hour|
|April 27, 2019 • 3:00pm - 4:00pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|April 14, 2019 • 11:30am - 1:15pm||Luncheon|
|April 06, 2019 • 5:30pm - 7:00pm||Birthday Dinner|
|March 17, 2019 • 12:00pm - 12:30pm||Cocktail Party|
|March 14, 2019 • 4:30pm - 6:00pm||St. Patrick's Celebration (Quartet)|
|February 21, 2019 • 12:00pm - 1:00pm||Sweetheart Tea (Quartet)|
|February 16, 2019 • 1:30pm - 3:45pm||Scottish Wedding (Quartet)|
|December 23, 2018 • 4:00pm - 4:30pm||Christmas Party|
|December 16, 2018 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Christmas Tea (Quartet)|
|December 15, 2018 • 5:30pm - 7:00pm||Quinceanera|
|October 20, 2018 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Masquerade Ball|
|October 06, 2018 • 4:00pm - 7:00pm||Private Party|
|September 21, 2018 • 3:00pm - 4:30pm||Octoberfest Celebration|
|September 14, 2018 • 5:30pm - 8:30pm||Rehearsal Dinner (Quartet)|
|August 31, 2018 • 6:30pm - 7:30pm||Birthday Party|
|August 18, 2018 • 9:00pm - 9:10pm||Dance Performance|
|August 12, 2018 • 7:00pm - 7:30pm||Dance Performance|
|July 28, 2018 • 4:00pm - 6:00pm||Wedding|
|July 08, 2018 • 7:00pm - 7:30pm||Dance Performance|
|June 22, 2018 • 6:00pm - 8:00pm||Graduation Party (Quartet)|
|May 26, 2018 • 6:45pm - 8:15pm||Rehearsal Dinner (Quartet)|
|May 23, 2018 • 4:30pm - 6:30pm||Dinner Party|
|May 18, 2018 • 5:00pm - 7:30pm||Community Event|
|May 06, 2018 • 11:00am - 1:00pm||Brunch|
|May 05, 2018 • 1:00pm - 1:45pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|April 29, 2018 • 4:00pm - 6:00pm||Wedding Ceremony and Cocktail Hour|
|April 14, 2018 • 10:00am - 11:30am||Funeral/Memorial Service|
|April 08, 2018 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Titanic Tea|
|April 07, 2018 • 2:00pm - 3:00pm||Irish Music Event (Quartet)|
|March 25, 2018 • 10:30am - 2:30pm||Commencement Ceremony and Reception|
|March 18, 2018 • 3:00pm - 5:00pm||St. Patrick's Tea (Quartet)|
|March 18, 2018 • 10:00am - 11:00am||Church Service|
|March 17, 2018 • 5:15pm - 6:15pm||St. Patrick's Day Celebration (Quartet)|
|March 17, 2018 • 12:00pm - 1:00pm||St. Patrick's Day Luncheon (Quartet)|
|March 16, 2018 • 3:30pm - 5:00pm||St. Patrick's Celebration (Quartet)|
|March 15, 2018 • 5:30pm - 6:30pm||St. Patrick's Party (Quartet)|
|March 09, 2018 • 3:00pm - 4:00pm||Cocktail Party (Quartet)|
|March 07, 2018 • 5:30pm - 6:30pm||English Theme Dinner (Quartet)|
|February 28, 2018 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Grand Opening|
|February 20, 2018 • 10:00am - 2:30pm||Renaissance Tea (Quartet)|
|February 11, 2018 • 1:00pm - 3:00pm||Valentine's Tea|
|December 22, 2017 • 12:00pm - 1:00pm||Christmas Luncheon (Quartet)|
|December 10, 2017 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Christmas Tea (Quartet)|
|December 06, 2017 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Holiday Celebration|
|December 02, 2017 • 12:45pm - 2:00pm||Celtic Birthday Celebration (Quartet)|
|November 16, 2017 • 12:00pm - 1:00pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|November 12, 2017 • 4:30pm - 5:30pm||Renaissance Theme Event (Quartet)|
|October 21, 2017 • 7:30pm - 9:30pm||Cultural Event|
|October 07, 2017 • 4:30pm - 5:00pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|September 30, 2017 • 3:30pm - 5:00pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|September 29, 2017 • 4:30pm - 6:30pm||Renaissance Theme Event|
|September 15, 2017 • 4:00pm - 5:00pm||Renaissance Theme Event (Quartet)|
|September 03, 2017 • 3:30pm - 5:00pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|August 23, 2017 • 1:00pm - 2:30pm||Summer Tea Event|
|August 19, 2017 • 5:00pm - 9:00pm||Birthday Celebration - Celtic Quartet|
|August 16, 2017 • 1:00pm - 2:30pm||Summer Tea Event|
|August 14, 2017 • 5:00pm - 6:30pm||Celebration of Life (Quartet)|
|August 09, 2017 • 1:00pm - 2:30pm||Summer Tea Event|
|August 02, 2017 • 1:00pm - 2:30pm||Summer Tea Event|
|July 26, 2017 • 1:00pm - 2:30pm||Summer Tea Event|
|July 19, 2017 • 1:00pm - 2:30pm||Summer Tea Event|
|June 22, 2017 • 6:30pm - 9:30pm||Renaissance Theme Event (Quartet)|
|June 11, 2017 • 7:00pm - 8:30pm||Dance Event|
|June 04, 2017 • 10:00am - 11:00am||Church Service|
|June 03, 2017 • 12:00pm - 2:00pm||Wedding Ceremony and Cocktail Hour|
|May 20, 2017 • 2:00pm - 3:30pm||Wedding Ceremony|
|April 23, 2017 • 5:00pm - 6:00pm||Film Festival|
|April 13, 2017 • 3:00pm - 5:00pm||Memorial Celebration|
|April 01, 2017 • 5:00pm - 6:00pm||Theme Wedding Ceremony|
|March 31, 2017 • 4:00pm - 5:00pm||Cultural Celebration (Quartet)|
|March 26, 2017 • 10:30am - 1:30pm||Celebration|
|March 19, 2017 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Celtic Tea (Quartet)|
|March 18, 2017 • 4:30pm - 6:00pm||Wedding, Temecula|
|March 17, 2017 • 2:30pm - 3:30pm||St. Patrick's Day Celebration (Quartet)|
|March 17, 2017 • 12:30pm - 1:30pm||St. Patrick's Day Celebration (Quartet)|
|February 25, 2017 • 2:00pm - 3:30pm||Wedding Ceremony and Cocktail Hour|
|February 24, 2017 • 2:30pm - 3:30pm||Cultural Celebration|
|February 18, 2017 • 6:00pm - 9:00pm||Birthday (Adult)|
|February 12, 2017 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Valentine's Tea|
|December 24, 2016 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Christmas Eve Service|
|December 18, 2016 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Christmas Tea (Quartet)|
|November 26, 2016 • 11:00am - 1:00pm||Community Holiday Celebration (Quartet)|
|October 09, 2016 • 5:45pm - 7:00pm||Wedding Ceremony, Temecula|
|October 05, 2016 • 4:00pm - 5:00pm||Theme Event, Escondido|
|October 01, 2016 • 2:00pm - 4:30pm||Renaissance Theme Celebration, Quartet|
|September 10, 2016 • 2:00pm - 4:00pm||Birthday Celebration, Carlsbad|
|August 06, 2016 • 11:10am - 12:00pm||Wedding Ceremony, San Diego|
|July 04, 2016 • 11:00am - 12:00pm||Fourth of July Celebration|
|April 20, 2016 • 5:00pm - 7:00pm||Medieval Dinner Event|
|March 18, 2016 • 4:00pm - 5:00pm||St. Patrick's Day Celebration, Escondido|
|March 17, 2016 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||St. Patrick's Day Celebration, Escondido (a.m.)|
|March 17, 2016 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||St. Patrick's Day Celebration, Escondido, CA|
|March 12, 2016 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||St. Patrick's Celebration, San Marcos, CA|
|December 20, 2015 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Christmas program, Rancho Santa Fe, CA|
|December 19, 2015 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Holiday Celebration, Fallbrook, CA|
|December 06, 2015 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Wedding (Quartet) , Valley Village, CA|
|December 05, 2015 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Holiday Party, Falbrook, CA|
|October 25, 2015 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Scottish Theme Event, Rancho Santa Fe, CA|
|October 17, 2015 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Tea Party, Escondido, CA|
|September 26, 2015 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm||Wedding, Escondido, CA|