DJ (Weddings, private and corporate events), Guitarist, Uplighting Provider, Photo Booth Provider, Gobo Lighting Provider, Vocalist, Cover Band Leader, Dance Floor Rental Provider, Staging Provider, Booking Agent (for pianists, string musicians, bands, acoustic musicians and more) and Live Audio Engineer Specialist. Has worked over 400 weddings, 350 corporate events, many Bar / Bat Mitzvahs as well as other private functions and thousands of public venues, festivals and events. Extremely well reviewed on Wedding Wire and The Knot (over fifty positive reviews and counting). Please feel free to review the following link: https://www.freestylebooking.com/djs.
I can’t say enough about Phil. I first met
him while he was playing at an event at our country club. I really enjoyed his music and knew that he would be perfect for our housewarming party. Our guests loved him and enjoyed dancing and singing along with Phil. He played longer than expected because everyone was having a fantastic time. He literally played every request that people had. Phil was responsive and very personable.
We will definitely have him back to our next party and would highly recommend him!
Working with Phil was an absolute pleasure. He was engaging, attentive, and professional in the meetings we had leading up to our event. On the day of the event, he was flexible and focused on making the event as great as it could have been in the face of unexpected hiccups (in our case, sustained wind during the ceremony).
Phil was a fantastic MC. His announcements had great energy and his music choice was phenomenal. We gave Phil a limited list of songs to play and decided to let him use his expertise to read the room and adjust the music accordingly. Our trust in him as a musician and profession was well placed.
We could not be happier with Phil's services and would absolutely hire him again in the future if/when an opportunity arises.
Lloyd Dobler Effect was absolutely perfect for our wedding night. High quality music - they know how to play tons of songs well. They kept our guests engaged and rocking out on the dance floor all night. Phil Kominski was the most accommodating emcee and catered to our every need for the music. From the ceremony to the cocktail party to the reception - it was a top shelf night thanks to the band!
Phil really helped make our wedding the perfect day. His emceeing was spot on and most importantly he played a great selection of music that got the party started and kept people on the dance floor all night. Phil is professional and punctual and easy to work with. We had a few calls to plan out what we wanted and he listened and did exactly what we asked. His set up on time, used nice equipment and created a fun atmosphere. I would definitely use him again for an event and recommend him to my friends.
Phil DJ'd our daughter's Bat Mitzvah. We challenged him by having the whole thing on a boat. Phil was amazing. He played acoustic guitar during the service and then DJ'd for the kids afterwards. I have never seen a DJ manage to so engage 13 year olds. It was magic. Everyone had a fabulous time. They played games and danced. He had them doing trivia and running around for limbo. Even the parents joined in. All of it on the top deck of a boat - not the easiest venue. We would hire Phil in a second for any future events.
Phil was amazing from our first phone call until the very end of my event ....very accommodating and made me feel that I had nothing to worry about ...he’s was early to setup made himself available to you but not in you way and his mic skills are awesome had the crowd going....if you need a Dj who has other tricks as well then Phil is your guy
Phil was professional, asked all the right questions. Very knowledgeable as far as making a wedding run smoothly, and made sure that it was a night to remember.
Phil brought the party to our wedding. Our guests were on the dance floor all night. He helped with our timeline, listened to our preferences, and played a great mix of new music and stuff for the older generation. We would definitely recommend him for your event!
Phil is one of the best vendors we've had the pleasure of working with and this is coming from an event planner directly. He's a fantastic DJ who keeps everyone on the dance floor but - just as important - he makes the planning process leading up to the event stress-free and easy. He is flexible and has a wonderfully positive disposition. In moments of crisis, he helps problem-solve and get the job done. He is a great team player and a joy to have at every event.
Price Range: Contact for rates
Insurance: $2,000,000 - I am fully insured via Music Pro and Hanover Insurance for 1 million per occurrence and 2 million aggregate. I can provide a COI for the venue as well as the client and I can add additional insureds.
Website: Visit website
What to Expect
1. I typically have an initial phone call with the client to answer all questions and to pitch myself and my services.
2. After the phone call, I email the client a few pieces of information to look over regarding DJ services, guitar services, PA services, uplighting services, Tower Photo Booth services, Gobo Projection Lighting services and more. In addition, I provide the client with a list of reviews and references.
3. Once the date is agreed to and contracted, I schedule a coffee meet up date with the client, if the client is interested, to discuss the event in detail.
4. Up to the date of the event, I do my best to make myself available to the client via email, text or phone, 24/7.
5. On the week prior to the event, I call the venue contract to go over load in instructions and rules and to answer any of their questions.
6. On the day of the event, I strive to be the first vendor onsite to load in and begin setting up. Once set up and sound check is completed, which I aim to have done an hour prior to any guest's arrival, I change into my suit or specified event clothing.
7. During the event, I am always present on-site and on top of the prepared timeline schedule.
8. I keep a steady eye on the crowd in order to adjust song selections on the spot and to ensure that as many people are dancing and having a good time as is possible.
9. When the event is over, I pack up and load out as efficiently as is possible and in a timely fashion.
The voice of the Lloyd Dobler Effect. One half of folk duo The Bubbas. A solo musician who tries to make people smile at every performance. A Wedding & Corporate Event DJ and Lighting Technician. A musician who strives perform any song request asked of him, no matter the genre. A musician who loves to write, record and perform music. Phil Kominski is someone who has no other employment ambition other than to be music.
"I love when the crowd is involved and enthused... the end of the night when people are all singing and making requests and asking you to play longer. For me, when people are happy and having a good time through music that I am performing, there is no 'last call' until the venue needs to shut down". - Phil Kominski.
As a founding member of the popular Washington DC rock band Lloyd Dobler Effect, Phil has toured the world (Japan, Singapore, Afghanistan, Africa, UAE, Guam, Qatar, Kyrgijthan, Bahrain, Diego Garcia and most of the 50 states including Hawaii). He has opened for a wealth of famous musicians (Eminem, Goo Goo Dolls, Kansas, Santana, Grouplove, etc). He has recorded with legends (Gary Katz, Camille Barbone, Elliott Randal, etc). He has performed over 3000 shows from venues as small as a pea (sandwiched between two Golden Tee machines at a Green Turtle) to RFK Stadium in Washington, DC (65,000 people in attendance). He has been on two record labels. In addition, he has been a Booking Agent (and still does some work at this profession), a guitar instructor and a session musician. He has written over 200 songs and released 18 CDS.
"In 2014, after sixteen-plus years of LDE's existence, I found myself as the sole remaining member of the band who's only profession is music. I honestly can never envision myself doing anything else. I feel so completely at home when I am writing, recording and performing... my songs or someone else's" - Phil Kominski.
Phil's belief is that one has to be flexible to make a living through music. "You have to find something that you like and can relate to in all genres of music", Phil says. "You have to learn to play a little bit of every genre and you have to not only be willing to play the kinds of music that a venue wants, you have to like it... otherwise, it will show and honestly, you are just wasting your time".
A native of Silver Spring, MD, Phil grew up and still lives just next door to Washington, DC. "When I was younger, all I wanted to do was get out of DC", Phil says. "Now that I have traveled so extensively, I realize how much I love my home and how fortunate I feel to live here". Phil is grateful for the abundance of venues and private events that are in the greater DC area and their support of artists and live music. "This town and the cities near by keep food on my table and diapers on my babies!"
Phil has recently started a new group (THE BUBBAS) with his wife of ten years, Elizabeth Coyle Kominski. The Bubbas' first CD, "The Winter 3 E.P.", was released in December 2014. Plans are to release a full length CD in 2015. Phil is also planning to release his first solo album in 2015. Phil and Elizabeth have two children, Tyler (age 10) and Harper (age 8), both of whom love music.
"I started writing songs when I was about 14 years old, but I never imagined that one day I would actually be performing them in-front of thousands of people, over 300 days a year! I basically used to come home from High School and just sit in my room and play whatever came to me for hours and hours... it was honestly a form of therapy and relaxation" - Phil Kominski.
In addition to marrying the love of his life in 2005 and being half responsible for creating the two most important things in his life (Tyler and Harper), Phil considers his music and it's endeavors to be his crowning life achievement. "If I can make people happier than they were before they heard me perform, I feel that I have done the most important thing I can do. People need to smile and people need to feel that some weight has been lifted from their lives... if I can do this just a little bit, then I feel I have lived up to what my responsibility is in this world" - Phil Kominski.
Additional Booking Notes
I come 100% prepared with all of the necessary equipment. My services allow me to provide the following to my clients:
- Two QSC KW122 Full Range Speakers
- Two Speaker Stands with Black Tree Skirts to cover all cables
- One QSC Touch Mix Digital Mixing Board (16 Channel)
- Two MacBook Pro Lap Tops with four separate DJ Software Programs on each
- One Shure Handheld Digital Wireless Microphone for all speeches and toasts
- Two Chauvet Rotosphere Disco Ball Emulation Effect Lights
- One Chauvet Intelligent Spot 155 Effect Light
- Two Chauvet Par 55 LED Effect Spot Lights
- One Pioneer DJ Mixing Board
Additional Services I offer as "Add Ons" are:
- Up to 2 15 inch Yorkville Sub Speakers
- Up to 10 additional Powered Speakers
- Up to 90 Chauvet Freedom Wireless Rechargeable Uplights
- Up to 2 Tower Photo Booths with onsite Wifi capabilities, Unlimited prints onsite and themed props
- Up to 5 Gobo Projection Lights for Logos and Designs
- Pin Spot Lighting (wireless)
- Wireless Lapel Microphones for ceremonies and services
- Instrumental Guitar, Guitar and Vocal, or Guitar Duo services
- Staging (various sizes and heights)
- Truss (various sizes and heights)
- Low lying Fog Machine for First Dances and/or lighting effects
- Dance Flooring (Various colors and sizes)
- Karaoke Services
For DJING, the answer is infinity. :-) Truthfully, the song list is endless.
For LIVE PERFORMANCE GUITAR and VOCALS, I know thousands of popular songs and I can read, onsite and in real time, tens of thousands more.
For KARAOKE, I run an online collection of songs that are catalogued at over 5000.
Influences & Inspiration
For DJING, I DJ whatever genres / eras / artists that the client requires and likes.
For performing GUITAR and SINGING, I try to do the same. I have my likes and artists / songs that I feel I do a good job with, but I always take "on the spot" requests and I learn just about ANY SPECIFIC SONG, when requested in advance.
I am 100% Self sufficient and am able to work within just about any spacial specifications. In short, I am very flexible in regards to client's needs. All I need is access to one dedicated power outlet, and in some cases, I don't even need this as I own