New to Denver, saxophonist and bandleader Ben Grier has booked hundreds of events and performed across the southeast U.S. With a network of top Denver musicians to choose from, Ben can fulfill any ensemble and genre needs your event may have.
Price Range: $100-$200/hour per musician.
Gig Length: 60 - 300 minutes
What to Expect
With communication and professionalism as priorities, Ben will meet the custom needs of your event, with a talented group of Salt Lake City's finest musicians. You can expect the band to be dressed professionally, play with a high level of musicality, and be enthusiastic and grateful for being there!
In December 2016, Ben Grier graduated with a degree in Music Education and Jazz Studies from the University of Florida, where he studied under jazz director Scott Wilson. His participation in the following activities led Ben to be one of the top call musicians/bandleaders in North Central Florida:
• Lead alto and jazz tenor in the UF big band/jazz combos.
• Booked hundreds of gigs that came through the UF School of Music over 5 years.
• 2015 SEC Symposium “Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship: Driving a 21st Century
Economy”. *Selected as Jazz tenor in the inaugural SEC All-Star Big Band.
• 2016 SEC Football Championship. *Selected as Jazz tenor in SEC All-Star Jazz Combo.
• 2-time recipient of the UF Gary Langford Jazz Scholarship (including inaugural award).
• 3-time recipient of the UF Kenneth Webster Saxophone Scholarship.
• 2014 JEN Conference. *Facilitated big band clinics and new education initiatives.
• 2017 JEN Conference. *Antigua Winds exhibitor.
• 2107 UF Brazilian Music Institute: International musician masterclasses culminating in two
concerts. *Featured soloist.
• Recognized by the Gainesville friends of Jazz for his help organizing 10th Annual Gainesville Jazz
• Author of three Jazz theory books: (Theory, Improvisation, Music as a Language).
• Interactive private lessons supplemented by a custom curriculum, play-along tracks, and
• Developed a higher education 7-week curriculum for improvisation development.
Additional Booking Notes
Logistical needs vary from event to event. Extra planning is involved for larger venues, in which sound systems are necessary. These details will be communicated and accounted for before performances through communication with event managers and clients.
Past Booked Events
|December 27, 2017 • 6:00pm - 8:00pm||Wedding Reception|
|September 28, 2017 • 6:00pm - 9:00pm||Fundraiser|
Set lists vary from event to even. If there are specific requests, those can and will be accommodated.
Influences & Inspiration
Sax: Pete Christlieb, Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderly, John Coltrane, Chris Potter, Michael Brecker, Troy Roberts, Sonny Rollins, Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Hodges, Paul Desmond, Grover Washington Jr., Gerry Mulligan, Kenny Garrett, James Carter, Tom Scott.
Clarinet: Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Eddie Daniels, Dick Johnson.
Trumpet: Scott Wilson, Lee Morgan, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis, Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard, Chet Baker, Clark Terry, Arturo Sandoval, Maynard Ferguson, Roy Hargrove, Blue Mitchell.
Trombone: John Allred, Bill Watrous, Frank Rossolino, Jack Teagarden, Carl Fontana, Wycliffe Gordon, Glenn Miller, Conrad Herwig, Elliot Mason, John Fedchock, Andy Martin.
Piano: Oscar Peterson, Chick Corea, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Count Basie, Ray Charles, Brad Mehldau, Dave Grusin, Claude Debussy.
Bass: Jaco Pastorius, Charles Mingus, Ron Carter, Christian McBride, Esperanza Spalding, John Patitucci, Aladar Pege, Brian Bromberg.
Guitar: Pat Metheny, George Benson, John Scofield.
Vocals: Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole, Al Jarreau, Madeleine Peyroux, Boz Scaggs, Jacob Collier, Ella Fitzgerald.
Drums; Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Gene Krupa, Brian Blade, Peter Erskine, Dave Weckl, Jeff "Tain" Watts.
Void, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, Dirty Loops, Moonchild, many others.
Generally at least one power outlet with two plugs for bass and piano amps is needed. Amplifiers/microphones/sound systems will generally be produced by the band.
Recent review: This band is exactly what we were looking for! All of the guests were ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over…
Jazz band blending styles such as gypsy swing, Brazilian samba, funk and traditional standards. The core band…
Recent review: Franny and the Jets played an art gallery opening for us in Denver. We had several hundred people…
Recent review: Rajdulari brought in a really great crowd and were really lovely to work with.