Looking for lively, interactive activity to recognize a special, adventuresome couple? We've got expert party planning tips from Dr. Ron Shapiro, professional speaker and creator of Education by Entertainment Programs. Whether you're planning an engagement party, a Jack and Jill bridal shower, or simply want to celebrate your favorite newlyweds, Our Newlywed Game is just what you need!
Here's how it works:
1. Separate the couple and have each newlywed complete the appropriate form below. Provide a marker and instruct the couple to write in large letters to fill the space allowed.
2. Blindfold the couple (preferably using a lovey-dovey pattern such as the heart blindfolds shown in the pictures below, which prevent either newlywed from seeing anything.)
3. Bring the couple back together and have each display their answers so the other guests can read them.
4. Ask each contestant how well they think the answers match.
5. If some (but not all) of the answers match, ask the contestants which answers they think they matched on.
6. Read off the answers one at a time and ask the couple to respond.
7. Shower the couple with fun presents and have them identify what they received (while remaining blindfolded, of course!).
8. Be sure to get photos and videos of the game!
Multiple Couples: If you have multiple couples, consider making the game into a competition where the couples compete for prizes.
Variations: As an alternative form of this game, just blindfold one of the contestants and have the other contestant fill out the form (or write answers on a small white board). Then have the blindfolded contestant hold the form (or whiteboard) and try to say what they think their partner wrote.
Our Newlywed Game can also be adapted for fun family activities, so feel free to turn this into Our Family Game or Our Siblings Game as well!
A special thanks to this awesome couple, Corrie Ignagni and Padriag John-David Mahoney, Our Newlywed Game contestants at the Providence Academy of International Studies Class of 2007 10th Reunion. Dr. Shapiro would also like to thank Industrial Consultant, Dr. Margarita Posada Cossuto, and GigSalad Content Strategist, Tessie Barnett, for their helpful contributions to this article.
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro offers Education by Entertainment programs for businesses, conferences, conventions, schools, colleges, universities, and youth programs. He also offers programs for special celebrations such as birthdays, reunions, and anniversaries. His programs give participants valuable knowledge through fun, unique experiences. Visit his GigSalad profile to learn more!