Most organizations consider strategic planning to be one of their most important tools. But what would you do if you your best tool was guaranteed to shatter on impact? It turns out that most plans fail. But what can we do - except build a new tool...
I have the good fortune to be part of a revolution in thinking – where transformative new methods are emerging from the science of conceptual systems. These approaches promise sustainability and success on a level we could not have imagined a few years ago. Now, I want to share these insights with your group. Empowered and inspired, listeners will learn to achieve higher goals with greater chance of success.
Price Range: $500 - $1,500 and negotiable
Gig Length: 15 - 45 minutes
What to Expect
Everyone knows the importance of strategic planning. We also know that they are very difficult to create. Worse, they rarely work as we think they should. Plans (like theories, mental models, and policies) seem to spend their time gathering dust. And, when they are used, generally suffer from lack of buy-in on the part of the participants.
Dr. Wallis builds on the work of luminaries such as Peter Senge, Stuart Kaufman, and James Gleick. Instead of despairing over the complexity of the world, Dr. Wallis shows how it can be measured… and managed. His presentations focus on innovative methods for understanding the systemic structure of our mental models and strategies. Methods that can predict how well a plan might work. Methods that can be used by your organization to create plans that are more likely to succeed. Imagine what your organization might accomplish if your decisions are correct twice as often as before?
Participants and listeners say:
“Exciting;” “I have learned a lot;” “Useful for identifying new ideas.” “Helps to jump out of past thinking;” “Inspiring;” “What a talk! I am really inspired by your approach.” “Interesting;” “Stimulating.” “Thank you again for your interesting visit and presentation!”
After a decade of consulting and raising two children, Steve returned to school and earned his PhD in 2006. There, he found the required “one good idea.” His research then led him to publish in over 20 academic journals and books and present at over 30 conferences across the country and around the world. In 2015, he served as a Fulbright Specialist at a research center in Germany (consulting on policy, strategy, and theory) and give a keynote address at a conference in Vienna. Steve has been working vigorously to make that idea more accessible and useful to professionals living and working outside the ‘ivory tower’ of academia. Building on his award-winning article, Dr. Wallis is highly motivated to support individuals and groups in his native Bay Area as they strive to understand and engage their world more successfully.
Additional Booking Notes
No special setup needs outside of normal for professional presentation. Projector for powerpoint and a microphone. Easy.
Possible Program Titles…
• Strategic Planning: Four common failures and one innovative solution
• What good is a glass hammer? Rethinking the way we think
• Eyes of Einstein: How to see the invisible and achieve the impossible
• Intellectual adventures of a Fulbright Specialist
• The ASK MATT game: Serious play for understanding complex problems
• Don’t fear the theory: Easy approaches to advancing your field of science
Interested Participants Include…
• Leaders and Managers – interested in improving strategic plans
• Coalitions – who want to develop more effective collaborations
• Entrepreneurs – to find and fix “blind spots” in their actionable knowledge
• Boards – interested in making more effective decisions
• Non-Profits – who want to map their knowledge base for greater efficiency
• Students and Professors – for developing deeper knowledge
• Analysts – to create policies that are more likely to succeed
• Citizen groups – to have a smooth path to understanding complex issues
Projecter for powerpoint would help
San Francisco, CA
Recent review: Colin performed magic, balloon making and juggling to a group of about 8 kids, all ranging in…
Recent review: Wow!~ Elizabeth knows how to really connect with an audience. I felt like she was talking just…
San Francisco, CA
Mike Toy is a world-class motivational keynote speaker. His clients include Google, Ebay, Citibank, and numerous…
San Francisco, CA
Recent review: Mr. Baker was a pleasure to have at our school community event that included families and teachers.…