SOMETHING DIFFERENT? How 'bout a double-dose of stand-up comedy, spiced with a few song parodies, impressions, and skits? Veteran comics Doreen Collins & Charlie Hall team up for this hilarious collaboration, much of which revolves around growing old. Hall (Star Search semi-finalist; the Joan Rivers Show) and Collins (Diana Ross; NBC -TV show host) are clean, clever, and comical- even touching at times. The duo are also often hired as "comedy auctioneers", emcees, and they love working the crowd. Their show, which they've nicknamed "Aging Disgracefully" is perfect for fundraisers, clubs, senior events, parties, lectures, roasts, etc.
(BTW both can be hired separately too, read on...)
What to Expect
DOREEN COLLINS and CHARLIE HALL are comedy chameleons; they can morph into whatever your comedy needs may be, whether it's emceeing, comedy auctioneering, or just plain performing. They emanate with positive personalities, and infectious smiles, and are well-known for their communicative skills. Between them are 60 years of performing, along with 30 years of marriage- just not together. Their chemistry as friends spills over into their act which is anything but "some guy telling jokes into a mic", not that there's anything wrong with that. But they want to be unique and inventive...and they are.
Charlie and Doreen take the stage together with a song, then hand off solos a few times to each other during the show, and end together in song. In between they interact with the audience as the do their material- much of which is based on aging and the measures we go through to stay looking younger. It's a raucous romp through Wrinklehood busting on botox, bifocals, bingo and more.
There's song parodies ('50 Ways To Lose Your Liver', 'I Get By With A Little Help from Depends'), appearances from celebs like "Cher", funny props for seniors, even a few touching moments that celebrate our elderly. "Aging Disgracefully" is hysterically perfect for wellness & senior events, fundraisers, hospital talks, retirement parties, birthdays, roasts, reunions, etc. It's clean, clever and can be customized. The show can fit in to any time slot--but 45 to 60 min. is the usual request.
They can bring their own sound equipment, and their act can be squeezed into almost any venue....from a small living room to a spacious theater. No egos here, just 2 BFF's who love and live to make you laugh.
NOTE- Both Doreen and Charlie are available to work as solo acts too, although teaming up is their preference. Sadly budgets don't always allow what you'd like to spend. Hey, one of us is better than none. Right?.....................I said, "Right?"
So, here's the skinny: Doreen Collins has a separate listing here on GigSalad where you can go to book just her. Now if you want to book just Charlie Hall, you can send quotes and messages, etc. right here from this profile. (Charlie can do 45 minutes and as a RISD grad, the act is punched with tons 'o' creativity. His minimum is $200. He can work totally clean too, as is evident from his half dozen national TV spots. Check out his resume and video. AND...he is a talented caricaturist too, if you want to add that in to the event.
ABOUT CHARLIE HALL
- In 2012, Charlie Hall was the first person inducted into the brand new RI Comedy Hall of Fame.
His clean, clever style lead to nat’l tv appearances on Star Search, the Joan Rivers Show, Evening at the Improv, Caroline’s Comedy Hour, America’s Funniest People, the MTV Half-Hour Comedy Hour, and many more.
- Has opened for tons of acts: Jerry Seinfeld, Chicago, The Temptations, Sam Kinison, Frankie Valli, Reba McIntire, and more. In 1992, he created the Ocean State Follies, a comedy cabaret teasing his home state.
- In 1993, 1997, and 1998 Rhode Island Monthly Magazine voted Ocean State Follies as the state's Best Comedy Show; in 1994, '95, and '96 the magazine voted Charlie as Rhode Island's Best Comedian.
This RISD grad is also an award-winning political cartoonist, TV news courtroom artist, muralist, author of 4 books.
- Now, If this all weren't enough, Charlie also penned the words for a song called "Rhode Island’s It For Me" that became the official state song of RI in 1995.
ABOUT DOREEN COLLINS
- Doreen started her showbiz career at the tender age of 8 in front of 20,000 people with none other than Diana Ross and the Supremes. Not willing to share the limelight, Doreen and Miss Ross parted ways immediately after the performance.
- You may have seen Doreen on one of her NBC 10 shows: UnReal Deal, NBC10 Wedding Showcase or the award-winning late-night local comedy, Rhode Bytes. And the familiarity doesn’t end with the face; her distinctive voice has been heard on radio and TV commercial voice-overs. It's hard to forget, which has really put a cramp in her prank phone-calling career. She’s doing what she loves best: making people laugh.
- Doreen was a theater major at New York University, studying under Stella Adler, and received her cosmetology license from the Robert Fiance School of Hair Design (NYC). Neither of which has gotten her anywhere which is why she has been living in Rhode Island under an assumed name since the turn of the century.
- She is a 30+ year SAG/AFTRA member and the 1st female inducted into the Rhode Island Comedy Hall of Fame.
Additional Booking Notes
We usually bring the sound system unless venue has better or bigger. We like to be stationed in an area under track lighting or a strong sourced light. If possible, he audience lights should be dimmed so it has that "show" type ambiance.
We can bring some portable lighting if we have to.
A small room/area near the stage to put on some light costuming/props is appreciated, but not a requirement.
If the venue does sound, we use 2 mics- cordless is better; wired, ok. With mic stands. If we bring a live pianist he heeds a 1/4" input. We also use devices that require similar inputs too. (Like plugging an iPad or phone in that has music tracks for our songs)
Upcoming Booked Events
|August 06, 2019 • 2:00pm - 2:45pm||Retirement Community Event|
Influences & Inspiration
The Capital Steps, Forbidden Broadway, tons of comedians. And Mayor Pete.
For Doreen, Carmen Miranda, Cher, and the Real Housewives of most big cities. (Except for Nene.)