Accomplished and popular performer of the Chinese Bamboo Flute, Chinese Zither and the piano. Singer and Songwriter in Mandarin/Cantonese/Japanese (and in English). With experience playing over at 100 large venues around the world, I will bring authentic yet captivating Asian elements to your events. Some of my recent performances include the Chicago modern orchestra project, solo concerts with DCASE, and tour with MGM Grand. Educated at Northwestern University and Berklee College of Music, I was crowned the 2015 Miss Chinese Chicago. I was featured at numerous publications such as Chicago Tribune, Timeout Magazine, and People's Daily; as well as TV stations such as NBC, MTV, and CCTV China.
Price Range: Contact for rates
Languages: Chinese, English
Website: Visit website
Jennifer Zhang 张羽琪
is a well-known Chinese American musician. She plays a variety of Chinese instruments such as the Chinese transverse bamboo flute (dizi), the Chinese vertical bamboo flute (xiao), the Chinese bottle gourd silk (hulusi), the Chinese reed flute (bawu), the Chinese lute (pipa) the Chinese zither (guzheng) as well as the piano. She is also a singer and song-writer. Her musical journey started at the tender age of four under the guidance of many of the most well-known professors in China, such as Chunling Lu (dizi), Yue Chen (xiao), Xiaosheng Zhao (piano) and Baili Fang (piano). She achieved level ten in both the Chinese transverse bamboo flute (dizi) and the piano. She graduated from the Northwestern University, and pursued advanced studies in Songwriting at the Berklee School of Music and in Chinese Folk Music at the Central Conservatory of Music of China.
Jennifer has won numerous awards in musical excellence as well as many first prizes in various talent competitions. Crowned as the 2015 Miss Friendship Ambassador of Chicago, she went on to win the title of 2017 Miss China International. She has recently won first prize for the 2018 Chinese Songwriter Contest in the USA and was nominated the Best Asian Entertainer by the 2018 Chicago Music Award. Her accolades include:
- First Prize for the 2018 Chinese Songwriter Contest in the USA;
- Best Asian Entertainer Nominee by the Chicago Music Award in 2018;
- First Prize for the 2018 China Central Television (CCTV) Global Brand Ambassador Contest in the USA;
- Most Popular Young Chinese Artist Award by Chinese Radio Seattle in 2017;
- Miss China International 2017;
- Audience Prediction Award by Miss International Pageant in 2017;
- Outstanding Overseas Musician Award by CCTV Huaren Channel in 2017;
- Featured Artist by International Music Alliance in 2017;
- First Prize for the 2017 CCTV Star Talent Competition;
- First Prize for the 2017 America's Got Cantonese Talent Singing Competition;
- Exemplary Community Service Award by the Asian American Coalition of Chicago in 2017;
- First Prize for the 2016 Windy City Photography Contest;
- Miss Friendship Ambassador of Chicago 2015;
- Chicago Emerging Leader Honoree by the Mandarin Leader Magazine in 2015;
- First Prize for the 2014 Voice of Chicago Singing Contest;
- Emerging Star Award for Seventh Annual China's National Print Model Competition;
- First Prize for the Sixth Annual CCTV Star of Outlook Talent Competition in the Shanghai region and top ten in the national final competition;
- Judge for the Second Annual Chinese Songs On Campus Singing Contest in 2018;
- Judge for the First Annual Eacast Media Group's Voice of Chicago Singing Contest in 2014;
- Judge for the Eighth Annual Voice of University of Illinois at Chicago Singing Contest in 2014;
- Judge for the Tenth and Eleventh Annual Voice of University of Chicago Singing Contest in 2014 and 2015......
Jennifer has graced the stages at hundreds of notable venues around the world. She was the opening musician for the Bloomberg Global Business Forum in 2017, where she performed the Chinese transverse bamboo flute (dizi) for over 250 country presidents and CEOs of multinational corporations, such as Bill Gates, Jack Ma, and the Honorable Justin Trudeau and the Honorable Cui Tiankai. She has also performed at many other forums, summits, and fundraisers for many other preeminent political and business leaders around the world, for example, President Barack Obama, Anna Wintour, Tim Cook, Indra Nooyi, and Cindy Crawford. Some of her corporate clients include Apple, Google, Hutchison Whampoa Limited, MGM Grand, Caesars Entertainment, Northern Trust, Ecolab, Miller Light, and Presence Health, etc.. She has also partnered with lots of great non-profit organizations for instance the Chicago Modern Orchestra Project, Fulcrum Point New Music Project, International Music Foundation, Illinois Arts Council Foundation, Lions Club International, and many more! She has also traveled to headline concerts in cities including Los Angeles, New York City, Las Vegas, Seattle, Lake Tahoe, Orlando, Columbus, Knoxville, London, Seoul, Kyoto, Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
With a loyal following on various social media sites, she released my original album "Jennifer Zhang 张羽琪" to rave reviews. Her representative original songs include: "Foam of the Ocean", "Warmth", "Flying High", "Moonlit Castle", etc..
"Jennifer's excellent musical ability and graceful appearance is a beautiful scenery of Chicago, which has attracted the audience and intoxicated the critics", wrote Sing Tao Daily. She was showcased and interviewed by many major TV and radio stations, for instance, CCTV, Shanghai Media Group (SMG), Pear Video, NBC, ABC, CBS, CMT, MTV, the Style Network, Hawaii Public Radio, Chinese Radio Seattle, KPTZ, KOWS, WLUW, and WMFT. Featured on numerous publications, for example, Chicago Sun-times, Chicago Tribune, Time Out Magazine, Chicago Magazine, Xinhua News, China News Agency, People's Daily, London China Times, Argentinian Chinese News, Splash Magazines, Promo Magazine, Made Magazine, Haute Couture Magazine, and Import Tuner Magazine, Jennifer also appeared on the magazine covers such as the Angel Rising Magazine's 2016 October Issue and the World Class Beauty Queens Magazine's 2017 March Issue.
Jennifer is the band lead for the Chicago Chinese Music ensemble and has assembled a rock band that constantly tours around the world. She was also elected as a board member for the Chinese American Museum of Chicago and an associate board member for the Vander Cook College of Music.
She is a Shanghai Native and she currently lives in Chicago, Illinois USA. Outside of music and musical performances, she enjoys listening to her favorite artists, traveling, yoga, swimming, playing with her puppy Martini, exploring different cuisines, meeting other amazing people on Gigsalad, and great times with good friends!
Follow Jennifer at her various social media sites for more updates!