Michael Grasso and the Not 2 Cool Jazz Trio plays a mixture of standards and classic jazz in the spirit of Chet Baker, Chris Botti, and Toots Thielemans. They have an intimate and lyrical sound that follows the west coast style of cool jazz. Their large repertoire of songs includes recognizable standards, romantic ballads, and classic jazz with an emphasis on tasteful and timeless melodies.
Their core group, the Not 2 Cool Jazz Trio, consists of trumpet, guitar or piano, and upright bass. This instrumentation provides a flexible format, with the band members doubling on vocals, percussion, and chromatic jazz harmonica.
For larger venues, the trio can be expanded to a full dance band, the Not 2 Cool Jazz Band, consisting of trumpet, saxophone, vocalist, piano, bass, and drums. Other instrumentations include a solo wedding trumpet and an acoustic duet (flugelhorn with guitar or piano).
The band is available to play quiet background music at restaurants, coffee houses, weddings, and receptions, as well as a more upbeat sound for special events and jam sessions in the Baltimore-Washington area.
Michael Grasso is a physician and part-time trumpet player in the Baltimore-Washington area. He is a "comeback" playing, who picked up the horn after stepping away for several years. He was born and raised in northern New Jersey, and studied jazz performance and music composition at Jersey City State College. He eventually changed careers, and currently works as an emergency medicine physician at the Universtiy of Maryland School of Medicine. Michael has an intimate and lyrical sound, inspired by Chet Baker and Toots Thielemans, and which follows the west coast style of cool jazz. In addition to the trumpet, he plays piano and chromatic harmonica. He is a member of Not 2 Cool Jazz, which plays a mixture of recognizable standards, romantic ballads, and classic jazz. He also plays with JazWorks, Magic Ray Jazz, and is a volunteer for Bugles Across America, through which he plays taps at funerals to honor veterans.
Chet Baker, Chris Boti, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, and Toots Thielemans.
What to Expect
Typical Gig Duration: 120 - 240 minutes
We provide the following services for one simple hourly rate. There is a two hour minimum, with a 15 minute break for each hour we play.
- Our classic jazz trio includes with trumpet, bass, and guitar. Other instrumentations are also available.
- We play a tasteful mix of recognizable standards, romantic ballads, R&B, and classic jazz.
- We provided a complete sound system, with microphone available for guests.
- We can play pre-recorded music for when the band takes its breaks.
- We can do a simple introduction of the guest(s) of honor, but can not serve as the master of ceremonies.
- Our fee may be higher depending on how far we have to travel, if we need to transport or operate special equipment, or if you want extra musicians beyond our basic trio.
Following is a partial list of some of the places we've played at.
- Brighton Gardens, Columbia, MD
- Coco Moka Cafe, Silver Spring, MD
- The Commons at UMBC, Baltimore, MD
- New Deal Cafe, Greenbelt, MD
- Farmers and Artists Market, Olney, MD
- FreshFarm Farmers Market, Silver Spring, MD
- The Judge's Bench, Ellicott City, MD
- La Dolce Vita, Frederick, MD
- Lee Lynn's, Ellicott City, MD
- Mad City Coffee, Columbia, MD
- The Mall in Columbia, Columbia, MD
- Mosaic Cafe, College Park, MD
- The Oakley Cabin, Brookeville, MD
- Rhode Island Red's, Hyattsville, MD
- Roosevelt Center, Greenbelt, MD
- Historic Savage Mill, Savage, MD
- The Wine Bin, Ellicott City, MD
We only require a 8x8 foot stage and power.
Following is a partial list of the songs we can play.
All Of Me
All Or Nothing At All
All The Things You Are
Almost Like Being In Love
Beyond The Sea
Bye Bye Blackbird
Come Rain Or Come Shine
Fly Me To The Moon
Georgia On My Mind
If I Were A Bell
I Love Paris
Lady Is A Tramp
Let's Fall In Love
Mac The Knife
My Favorite Things
Nice 'N Easy
Night And Day
Someday My Prince Will Come
The Way You Look Tonight
When You're Smiling
Why Don't You Do Right
Girl From Ipanema
My Little Suede Shoes
One Note Samba
Samba De Orfeu
Shadow Of Your Smile
Watch What Happens
Body And Soul
Cry Me A River
I Can't Get Started
In A Sentimental Mood
My Foolish Heart
My Funny Valentine
My One And Only Love
Over The Rainbow
Someone To Watch Over Me
What Are You Doing
When I Fall In Love
You Don't Know
Available for Your
Anniversary Party, Bar/Lounge, Birthday Party, Casino, Christmas Party, Club/Nightclub, Concert Venue, Corporate Event, Dinner Dance, Fair, Festival, Fundraiser, Hotel, Parade, Restaurant, Retreat, Reunion, Seminar, Wedding Reception
Jazz Bands in Columbia, Maryland Event not near Columbia, Maryland?
Search a different location
When booking a Jazz Band…
Whether you hire Not 2 Cool Jazz or other Jazz Bands in Columbia for your party, wedding, or event, Gig Salad makes it super-easy to book professional Jazz Bands.
We strongly recommend that all communication be kept on the Gig Salad Booking Platform as you book your Jazz Band. When you do, we’re able to offer numerous benefits that we can’t guarantee if you take communication or deposit payment off the Gig Salad platform. Our booking system is easy to use and handles secure deposit payments from you to the Columbia Jazz Band of your choice.
Additionally, the quote/agreement sent from your Jazz Band to you using the Gig Salad platform, should outline performance fees, extras, arrival and departure times, cancellation policy, insurance information and other details.